Monday, May 16, 2011

Ruminations on Weight Watchers

I joined Weight Watchers a while ago, and after losing a bit of weight eventually fell off the wagon and quit the program.  I managed though to keep most of the weight off that I wanted to.  When I began, I weighed a rather unflattering 188.  At one point I was down to 169.  Right now I'm at 175.  There aren't very many men who are in the program.  I'm guessing about 5% of any group will be men.  I have one acquaintance who continues to use the membership solely to meet women.  As he says (in an admittedly vulgar manner) "Fat chicks need love too."  I went back this weekend just to see if I can push through and get my weight down to 169-165. 

A couple of years ago, I really liked the program as it was relatively simple.  And I liked some of the improvements, you can now eat all the fruit you want.  That fruit was restricted in the past always seemed kind of dumb to me.  No one waddles into Weight Watchers because they eat too much fruit.  In tinkering with the program unfortunately you are hopelessly dependent on looking up points as opposed to estimating them. The program also obviously catered to people with sendentary lifestyles.  What they considered intense exercise I would consider light to moderate. 

Fortunately most of the people in the Saturday group that I used to detest were not there.  These archetypes include:  "fat chick married to Quasimodo", "woman who lies about exercising", and most annoying of all "woman who won't shut up".  The meeting itself was kind of apt, because it had quite a few people in there like myself, who had some success with it, and then fell off the wagon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment